This looks as though there may be a compatibility problem between mail coming from Mailman and way the Outlook MUA displays it that is worse with MM 2.1 than with MM 2.0.x.

Anyone out there with experience of Microsoft products that can explain what's described below and how to correct it?

> Tom
>
> I think there is some confusion here about what is meant by
> VERP'ed address.

Evidently, you are correct. :-/

So, that's not my problem, then, but my problem remains unresolved.  In a
nutshell, here's what I'm observing:

Prior to my "upgrade" (oh, bitter irony!) to Mailman 2.1, mail sent via a
list had the following characteristics:

From: User Name [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Now, the mail looks like:

From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of User Name [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Additionally, sometimes Outlook will insert the "short description" of the
list into the To: field when replying, but I'm willing to believe that's a
bug in Outlook.

My users don't like the new From: format, and I am trying to get it back to
the way it was, which seems like such a small and simple thing to do but
evidently is not.  Also, getting rid of the text attachments in Outlook when
the footer has a different character set than the message body (also due to
a new "feature" introduced in 2.1) would be delightful.

Thanks for your time and patience,

Tom