I'm setting up a new mail server, and Mailman is one of the softwares installed. Currently I have the defaults set for DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST to be the actual hostname of the machine (mercury), but when it goes online there will be an alias which should be used instead (mail). The email_host should actually then point to the domain, not the hostname (ie, astro.princeton.edu instead of mercury.astro or mail.astro).

As I've created lists to replace old alias exploders, I've forced the "preferred hostname for this list" to be astro.princeton.edu, so that mails it sends out say you should send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], which is how it should look when it goes live. Currently the webpage information points to the actual hostname and not mail, which is fine since mail is another server which knows nothing about Mailman.

Am I correct that, once it goes live, I should run:

bin/withlist -l -a -r bin/fix_url

...and that will clean up the URLs appropriately (so they now read mail.astro)? Of course I first would have to first change DEFAULT_URL_HOST in mm_cfg.py.

Is there anything that needs doing to change the DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST? Or is that only used when the list is created for setting the initial value for the "host name this list prefers for email"? If that's the case I might just set it now so I don't forget later while creating lists on the box.

TIA

---
Steve Huston - Unix Systems Admin, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
 Princeton University  |     ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285
   126 Peyton Hall     |"On my ship, the Rocinante, wheeling through
 Princeton, NJ   08544 | the galaxies; headed for the heart of Cygnus,
   (609) 258-7375      | headlong into mystery."  -Rush, 'Cygnus X-1'