I'm trying to figure out the BEST way to do content filtering with Mailman: (1) through Mailman's own content filtering or (2) through a dedicated filter (e.g., Procmail Email Sanitizer) that processes mail BEFORE Mailman sees it.

In Mailman's favor is the convenience of having the filter built-in and, I presume, a more efficient use of resources.

But in favor of Sanitizer (or another filter) is greater flexibility in the processing of attached files. One can quarantine/defang/scan for viruses in misbehaving file attachments.

I've read in the Mailman FAQ about how to filter incoming mail before it hits Mailman (using Procmail), but my question is a more philosophical one:

SHOULD one pre-filter email before it gets to Mailman?

And if one should instead rely on Mailman for filtering, could someone provide samples of what they've used for

filter_mime_types
pass_mime_types

Thanks!

P.S. I'm using Mailman 2.2.1 with Postfix on a RedHat 8 system.

Jeremy Butler [EMAIL PROTECTED] ======================================================== TELEVISION: CRITICAL METHODS AND APPLICATIONS www.TVCrit.com