* Sullivan, John ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> I have list set up that I want to send a newsletter out to. The Iist is
> about 50000 addresses.
>
> Will Mailman and sendmail be able to handle that?

It all depends on the system setup.  With a good portion of RAM, a clear
connection, and quick access to a DNS server, it should be fairly smooth.

A local DNS server will speed things up.

> Also how are the emails sent out when I click send? Is the entire list
> spooled and then sent out or does it do it in chunks -

This process is handled by the MTA.  mailman hands off the mail to sendmail
and then sendmail processes the queue, usually host at a time.  Which means
if one host isnt' resolving, the rest of the queue will have to wait til
that host timesout.

--
Matthew Davis
http://dogpound.vnet.net/

The best way to accelerate a Mac is at 9.8 m / sec^2.