Hello,

I've just installed mailman (2.1-8 rpm) on a Red Hat 9 system I'm using at work. Back a few months ago when this machine was running Red Hat 8, I tried to set up this system with mailman, and it appeared to be working. I had a learning curve to deal with, but it was functional.

But now that I've upgraded the system, mailman won't start up. Here's what I get:

---
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailman]# rpm -qa | grep mailman
mailman-2.1-8
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailman]# rpm -qa | grep python
rpm404-python-4.0.4-8x.27
python-2.2.2-26
python-optik-1.4-2
rpm-python-4.2-0.69
gnome-python2-canvas-1.99.14-5
gnome-python2-1.99.14-5
gnome-python2-gtkhtml2-1.99.14-5
gnome-python2-bonobo-1.99.14-5
libxml2-python-2.5.4-1
mod_python-3.0.1-3
python-devel-2.2.2-26
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailman]# /etc/init.d/mailman start
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 524, in ?
    main()
  File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 319, in main
    check_privs()
  File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 274, in check_privs
    gid = grp.getgrnam(mm_cfg.MAILMAN_GROUP)[2]
KeyError: getgrnam(): name not found
---

My first thought was that the user and group wasn't created, but they're in there. I also thought that maybe my install of python had issues, so I ran testall.py and saw no problems there.

I'm not sure what kind of permissions layout the directories are supposed to have, but I've already tried to --force the rpm so that it writes over the existing files. But my old list files were still in the lists directory, so maybe that's an issue? I've deleted those files (never finished that attempt anyway), but I still get the same error above.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot this further?

Thank You,
Troy