On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 11:45 pm, Warren Woodward wrote:

...sucks. We all know this. We've all tried fruitlessly to find
back archives of this very list and failed masterfully. We've installed
it on our servers only to field hours of complaints from users who think
it *must* be broken because a search for "Jims recipe" turns up links to
pet photos.

So the question is, what else is there? Anything? I'm scared to ask,
because I'm fairly certain that htdig is being pushed for lack of anything
better.

Why not search the Mailman FAQ. You will probably find http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.011.htp, which page offers other options than htdig.

Of course, Mailman being Open Software and you being a clever person, you are always free to integrate some other, superior search-engine and contribute your experience to the community.

Forgive me if I missed a prior conversation on this matter.

Always worth searching the searchable mailman-users archive (see link at bottom of this email) but as the Mail Archives uses htdig you will probably judge the results as inadequate.

I often skim
over this list's mail on busy days, and I'd try searching the archives
but..... well.  You know.

Please discuss.

Contribution: we are all welcome to our own opinion, no matter how irrational it is.

p.s. I've been asked (at virtual gunpoint) to request that we have dates
added to archive menus. Any thoughts on this?

 --
warren woodward
XMission DSL

"I hold a beast, an angel and a madman in me." Dylan Thomas