Warren Woodward wrote:
So the question is, what else is there?  Anything?  I'm scared to ask,
because I'm fairly certain that htdig is being pushed for lack of anything
better.

Having just installed htdig I am wondering what your problem with it is? Perhaps the install is incomplete? I have one list where I have not yet modified the archive pages to NOT index the subject heading of the next and last post, and the results for a search are therefore pretty useless. But that was my fault, and when I fix it they results will be much better. If you install htdig on a system with existing lists you will need to make some changes to several files in existing lists before it will work right. I'm just now doing this, so I can't give you the details.
The other things is that htdig is very powerful, and as is the case with most things the more powerful it is the more understanding a person has to have to make it do what they want. We have been made lazy by places like Google that allow us to do "+ big + dog" instead of "big AND dog", and a lot of folks have no clue what an Boolean operand is.

I have not yet looked, but I suspect there is a good little how to that I can link to for my users. By offering them some information on how to harness the real power of htdig I will save myself a lot of hassle!

<>< Paul, who is getting fed up with the Eudora bug that trashes headers if a period is at the end of the subject line ...