Kevin McCann wrote:

Thanks, Ben. I had initially been thinking this was strictly an Outlook
problem, too. But I became skeptical as I realised that there are still two
big questions:

1) Why do these same Outlook clients not have problems receiving
attachment-less messages with footers from other MLMs such as Lyris? (I run
hundreds of lists on Lyris and a handful on Mailman and I only have problems
with Mailman).

I'll go out on a limb and guess that Lyris doesn't have Mailman's level of internationalization support. If you turn a blind eye to the fact that there are messages with character sets other than us-ascii out there, you can do all sorts of horrible things to messages by blindly adding on random text to the end of messages.

As a test, though, is there any way you could forward to us messages sent through Lyris that are:

1) Content-Type: text/html
2) Content-Type: multipart/* with text/html and text/plain parts
3) Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 or some other non-ISO-8859-1 character set

that have footers attached to the mails? I'd love to see what tactics they take in each of these cases.

2) Similarly, why do other Mailman installations send the mail to these same
mail clients without problems?

It's probably going to depend on the configuration of the client that is sending the mail to Mailman in the first place. If the client sends out text/plain mail, Mailman can attach the footer with no problem. But if it's text/html, Mailman has to attach the footer separately; there's just no other way to do it.

I'm not sure what would happen with a multipart mail if Mailman directly added the footer underneath the final body part. I assume if the charsets matched, it might show up, but I'm not 100% certain.

Ben