Skip,

In the absence of Barry giving a definitive answer, my guess would be that this is a cleaner design. It works for situations with just one person and also works for situations with many, many people involved (such as at a large company or a Mailman hosting service).

Skip Montanaro wrote:

I asked about this a couple days ago, but it was buried in another message,
so maybe nobody saw it.  Why is the "mailman" mailing list necessary?
Pre-2.1, I just had an alias which pointed to me.  Now I apparently need a
fully functioning Mailman list called "mailman".  I read the FAQ at

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.025.htp

but it doesn't explain why a list (as opposed to a simple alias) is
required.

--

John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own