On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 10:26:31PM +0100, Thomas Hochstein wrote:
> Dave Fisher schrieb:
>
> > From what I can see, Exim simply uses /etc/aliases lines to pipe all
> > admin messages to /var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman on Debian, but I've no
> > idea what Mailman does with them after that.
>
> At least on current versions of Mailman, mail is sent with an envelope
> of "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"; that means, bounces go back to
> that adress, and Exim then uses /etc/aliases lines to pipe all bounces
> to the mailman bounce-processing. It should be possible to change that
> line to send the mail (the bounce) to you *and* pipe it to mailman.

Thanks Thomas,

Just after I wrote my original request for help, I realised that I could
that and have now done so.

I would, however, still like to know what the automatic bounce
processing actually does in some detail.

I've already noticed a range of different errors.  The most common seem
to be temporary routing and name lookup problems, so I'd like to find
out how I can ensure that exim/mailman tries to re-send the original for
longer, i.e. until the temporary problem has gone away.

Is there any documentation, or some obvious option that I've overlooked,
about this?

Dave