Additional info, which I'm sure is more to the core of my problem:

I was wrong that the lists work. In fact, any message I send - from any sender, registered or not - to the [EMAIL PROTECTED] address is sent on to the sender. When I fill out the subscription form at <http://www.storydynamics.com/mailman/listinfo/myw>, it appears that I am completing the process. But:
1. no confirmation email comes to the new member or to me as administrator.
2. the subscriber list remains empty, too.
3. no other previously "registered" subscribers get copies of the mail.
I guess the archiving problem is just a symptom of whatever is causing this problem.
Any ideas?
Doug

Hi, I'm a newbie using Mailman 2.1.5 on Linux (Redhat 9) with sendmail. I was able to install Mailman and create lists via the web. The lists work; messages sent to it go out to subscribers.

The problem is that, even though I have set the "Archive" option via the web interface, none of my lists is archiving. When I go to the archive page via html, I get " No messages have been posted to this list yet, so the archives are currently empty."

I have searched my logs, at least the ones I could find. The only two logs in /usr/local/mailman/logs are "error" and "subscribe." Subscribe looks reasonable; error is empty. I'm not sure exactly how to read all the other logs I have found in /var/log/ and in /var/log/httpd, but no entry seems relevant on the face of it. I don't know what other logs I should be trying to read.

I have also searched the archives for help at <http://www.mail-archive.com>, with no success.

Does anyone have an idea what I could have done wrong? Or at least where else to look?

Thanks!

Doug Lipman

Doug Lipman, P.O. Box 441195, West Somerville, MA 02144 Phone: (781) 391-3672. Fax: (781) 391-6341. Toll-free: (888) 446-4738
Story Dynamics: workshops, performances, coaching

Web page: http://storydynamics.com
Free monthly email newsletter, "eTips from the Storytelling Coach."
"A wonderful, chock full of provocative ideas, storytelling newsletter. I like it a lot!" - Loretta Greene (Tempe, AZ)

Upcoming workshops: http://storydynamics.com/Services/upcoming.html
The Soul of Hope: http://SoulOfHope.net
The Hasidic Stories Home Page: http://www.HasidicStories.com