At 9:49 AM -0400 2004-07-23, Spencer Yost wrote:

                        The FAQs do not answer the second part of my
 question though.  That is the problem where messages clearly destined for
 another mailing list end up in mailman.   Interestingly, this only happens
 a maybe a dozen times since yesterday afternoon and it doesn't happen to
 all messages.  Headers of a example message in my mailman list moderator
 request page follow my signature.   As you can tell from the headers, the
 message clearly was addressed to [EMAIL PROTECTED] but ended up
 on the [EMAIL PROTECTED] moderator page as well.

Is this copy of the message as pulled from the moderator page for [EMAIL PROTECTED], or from [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If this is from the moderator page for [EMAIL PROTECTED], I can't explain what happened. The message was clearly addressed to a different list, received by heavyiron.atis.net, but then somehow delivered to the wrong recipient address. I would check your aliases, any virtual domain settings, etc... within your MTA.

                                                                    I left
 the message on the moderation page so if someone wants to verify or look at
 something, I can change the admin password for the list admin page and let
 them in for a few minutes.

I'd be curious to see exactly what is currently there.

                                   One other clue:   This started about the
 same time new MX records for my site probably propagated to the rest of the
 Internet.  These new MX records that I created started pointing all
 incoming mail to mail-abuse-org servers (I am using their new Lanai
 service).

Lanai service? I've been a stop.mail-abuse.org user since the service was created, and I've not heard of this one. I'll have to check their website.

            I am leaning to it being a coincidence though because I don't
 think the timing was quite right but of course I can't know exactly how
 propagation occurred and the first few messages on the mailman page I just
 deleted before I started realizing what was happening.  Therefore I don't
 have the "Received:" trail" on those critical first few messages anymore.
 Plus I just don't see how routing my mail through a SPAM service could
 possibly make a difference nor could I see this being the culprit if it
 only happens to a few messages.

Unfortunately, those first few messages might have contained an important clue. Or not. But there's no way to find out.

--
Brad Knowles, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755