On Aug 26, 2004, at 11:56 AM, Mark T. Valites wrote:

The department that is responsible for the list is leary of making all the
members of the list digest members, in case an important message needs to
be sent immeadiately. Even though we have a non-digested emergency "911"
list synchronized with the same recipients, they have no desire to use it.
If the list members were all set to digest members and the list owner had
the capability to force out an individual message immeadiately instead of
when the digest ran, they could deal with having most messages go out in a
digest. Pipe dream?

You _can_ force the digest to go out, if that helps your situation any. Otherwise you're better off using the '911' list.

The head of our department periodically sends out email to mailing lists
for each of our residence halls on campus. All the lists are set up to
hold messages from non-list members. Not being a list member, she can't
tell if/when the message has been approved. Is there any way to set up an
existing mailman (2.1.5) install to send her acknowledgements of if/when
her messages were approved without adding her as a member?

Not that I know of. You can try adding her as a member and turn on her 'nomail' and 'ack' flags. That would prevent her from receiving list messages but she would still be ACK'd, I think. Worth a try anyway.

While more of a SSH issue than a mailman issue, perhaps someone here has
run across this issue and can help me out. I would like to set up a
cronjob on a remote machine to periodically scp a bunch of files *to* my
mailman machine with key based authentication. The key based
authentication fails because of the setgid bit on mailman's home
directory. I realize I could either 'pull' the files from the remote
machine or set up an additional user for the remote scp user to use when
scp-ing in, but neither of these solutions is optimal. Is there a better
way?

Of course I'm not sure exactly what you're doing, but I would script it out to where I was pulling the files, checking the integrity (because you never know) and then mv/chown/chmod to the final location (and keep a backup of the old file as well).

-Jeff