On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 11:53:40AM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 12:35 PM -0700 2004-09-20, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >     If re-running ./configure with the  option
> >     `--with-mail-gid=daemon', that would be the easiest fix.
>
>       You are correct -- this is most likely to be the easiest fix.

        This did resolve the problem, thank you.  (The FreeBSD
        port needs to be changed, perhaps, at least for V5.*
        to set the gid=daemon rather than mailnull... .)

        Anyway, before I set my list free upon my group, I have
        another question.  After I got mail flowing from sage.thought.org
        to <wherever>, test messages went to the administrator {me}
        for approval.  Havng me approve/deny list subscribers can
        be useful, but for my purposes, I'd much rather let my users
        automagically subscribe, unsubscribe, change their addresses,
        and so forth _without_ my having to interviene.  What knobs
        do I turnto have my private list be open to all suscribers?
        (I don't remember telling Mailman that I had to be asked to
        approve subscribers in order for them to join.  [I may have
        clicked somewhere unintentionally].)

        thanks for any insights,

        gary

--