Solaris 8 has no msgmerge. You have to install GNU gettext.
Or, you can download latest messages/Makefile.in from CVS
(Release_2_1-maint branch) and restart installation from
'configure'.

You can get the latest CVS for the Release_2_1-maint by
$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/mailman \
      co -r Release_2_1-maint mailman

Well, by deduction and some searching I was able to figure out I needed gettext. Thanks.

However, it appears gettext needs automake 1.8 and all I can get my hands
on is 1.8b and 1.9.  When I try to run make, I get:

% make
cd . && /bin/ksh /usr/local/src/gettext-0.14.1/config/missing --run automake-1.8 --gnu
/usr/local/src/gettext-0.14.1/config/missing[46]: automake-1.8: not found
WARNING: `automake-1.8' is needed, and you do not seem to have it handy on your
system. You might have modified some files without having the
proper tools for further handling them. Check the `README' file,
it often tells you about the needed prerequirements for installing
this package. You may also peek at any GNU archive site, in case
some other package would contain this missing `automake-1.8' program.
make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1

% automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.8b

I've tried 1.9 and it still gives me this error. Is there someway to get around
this or can you direct me to where I might find automake 1.8 nowadays?

Thanks,

Aaron
~