I have read through the FAQ and tried to locate every piece of information I
could about MIME types and attachments, esp. reading 4.39, and I'm still
confused, so am hoping that others can provide some simple clarification.

What I'd like to do:
   1) Prevent all attachments from going through.  (Note that if my settings
below are too broad and will result in rejecting messages that aren't really
attachments, let me know.)
   2) Accept html, or real text format formatted messages without
translating them to plain text.  However, if this means that other formats
such as pdf, word, etc., would also have to be accepted, than I'd give up on
html.
   3) Send a notice automatically to a sender if their attachment has been
rejected.
   4) Send the remaining plain text part of the message to the list without
the attachment.

My current 'Content Filtering' options (see below) are rejecting attachments
and html-formatted messages.   The entire message is rejected -- even if
there are remaining plain text parts.  RTF formatted messages are, however,
converted to plain text.  No notice of a rejection is sent to the poster, so
I've configured the last option to send the message to the e-list owner, so
that the owner could manually notify users.

Note that I don't seem to have access to the unix shell.

My current list Content Filtering options are as follows:

Should Mailman filter the content of list traffic according to the settings
below?   -- Yes

Remove message attachments that have a matching content type.  <none listed>
Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type.  -- I've
listed two types -- text/plain  <and, on a separate line> text/html
Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text?   No
Action to take when a message matches the content filtering rules.   Forward
to List Owner
Thank you for any clarification!