On 9/30/2004 9:21 AM Brad Knowles wrote:

At 8:53 AM +0200 2004-09-30, martin f krafft wrote:

 However, the attachment is still delivered to all 80+ subscribers.

 I wonder if it's possible to replace the attachment in the email
 with a link to the file saved under /attachments/... of the list
 archives? Or is this not possible because the archives are actually
 generated separately by pipermail?

The archiving step is separate from the mailing list processing, and that is where the attachment stripping is performed. It's difficult to solve this in a general way, since internal hostnames might be totally different from external hostnames, and you're crossing protocol boundaries (SMTP to HTTP).

With the list archive, you're staying within protocol boundaries (anyone who can see the archive should be able to likewise see the attachments through the same mechanism).

I'm not aware of any patches to produce the kind of behaviour you're looking for, but you can search the list on the Mailman page at SourceForge.

There is a patch, but I don't have any reference handy right now. I think if you (the OP) look for "Scrubber.py" in the patches, you should find something. I believe the patch was for an earlier version, but I applied it to 2.1.5 and it is working for me.