At 12:41 AM -0400 2004-10-24, Rich West wrote:

 So, I guess it is a toss up as to having VERP enabled with one SMTP
 connection per transaction or disabling VERP and setting the SMTP max
 sessions per connection to 0 (unlimited)...

Recommendations/suggestions? :)

It's a classic performance versus ease-of-administration trade-off. VERP definitely makes it a lot easier to properly administer mailing lists, and you can pretty much guarantee that no matter what the user might do on their end, if you get a bounce back to a given VERPed address, you can figure out what the original recipient was and remove them from the list.

But there is a performance cost to using VERP. You need to decide whether or not that is worthwhile in your case. I think the FAQ entries should be able to help you figure out what the cost might be.

Now, the truly weird thing is that you shouldn't have to limit the number of sessions per connection with sendmail. No version of this program in recent history (like the last five ten years) should have problems with the kind of thing you're trying to do. Either you've got a truly ancient version of sendmail, a version of sendmail that is configured in an extremely strange way, or something else is going on that you're not aware or or not telling us.

Could there be a firewall between you and sendmail which might impact what happens during the SMTP transactions? I know that cisco PIX firewalls are known to break SMTP in some strange ways, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were other firewalls that did something equally strange.

--
Brad Knowles, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755