Anne Ramey wrote:

>(1) what do the failures mean on a posting log like this:
>
>Jan 21 13:58:38 2005 (1967) post to nc_museum from
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] , size=20128, 3 failures

It is a count of the number of addresses (recipients) that were refused
by the SMTP server.  See the definition of SMTP_LOG_REFUSED in
Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py, the code in SMTPDirect.py and the Python
smtplib module documentation at
http://www.python.org/doc/2.1.3/lib/module-smtplib.html

>(2) Is there any way to tell what part of a mailing went and what part
>didn't if the post occurs in archives, but never is "posted" --ie never
>finishes sending...???

The above message is instead of the successful post message. It means
in this case that the whole mailing went but 3 recipients were
refused. If you haven't changed SMTP_LOG_EACH_FAILURE in mm_cfg.py,
the 3 failures should be logged in Mailman's smtp-failure log.

If there is no entry at all in the post log, I don't know what's going
on.

--
Mark Sapiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       The highway is for gamblers,