I'd imagine Apple's lists are much, much larger...

IIRC, the last time I heard, their largest single list was somewhere in the region of 15,000 users.

at one point we had one list that was over 40K, but we've migrated it to other things and it's not on mailman any longer.

But then they host over a hundred lists, and many of those lists are both reasonably large and high traffic, which results in amazing quantities of mail being delivered every day.

we're well over 500K deliveries a day these days. Not sure exactly how, since I don't do the day to day any more, but it's quite busy.