On Feb 14, 2005, at 4:24 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:

You're trying to establish something like ownership of security bugs.

No, I'm trying to get the people on this list to follow the STANDARD PROTOCOL that exists for disclosure of this data, actually. Which if people actually paid attention to how these security issues are handled instead of making up rationalizations for their own mistakes, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I'm not establishing ownership of security bugs. i'm trying to establish the protocol for how that information is WIDELY distributed. and that's done by, and with the consultation of, the owner of the code in question, unless the owner refuses to cooperate. Barry was cooperating, and wasn't in fact asked,b efore it was disclosed onto this list, which made it availble to everyone before a patch was available.

it broke the standard protocols we use in these cases (some of us have been involved in security for a while, unlike the amateurs), and now, the people who did it are insisting the protocols worked out over the years are wrong, because they don't like them.

Again.

So excuse me if I'm grumpy. I think I'm entitled. Not as much as Barry is, but he's far too polite to try to get people to behave. that's my job around here.

------------------------------------------------------ Mailman-Users mailing list Mailman-Users@python.org http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/ Unsubscribe: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/archive%40jab.org

As a general rule, if you have questions regarding sensitive security issues,
you can post them to [EMAIL PROTECTED], which is a closed distribution list.

Please do not otherwise discuss sensitive security issues on any public mailing
list, until such time as an official announcement has been made, including
availability of a patch, etc....

Even if the issue has been publicly discussed in other forums, you should wait for the official announcements before discussing them publicly, whether on mailman-users, mailman-developers, or elsewhere.