John W. Baxter wrote:

I subscribed a different address (by email, as is my habit when I have a
list message handy).

I confirmed a half hour ago...no spurious confirmations from other lists yet
(if that changes, I'll let you know).  I have now unsubscribed.

 --John

John,

The fact that at least 4 people from this list have already responded that they too have gotten that same mailman confirm email from that domain/list at about the time, as they recall, that they first subscribed here and made their first post leaves no doubt at this point that there is a connection. Again, I think they are simply identifying first time posters to this list (and possibly other lists) and then firing off a confirm email to them, probably in order to advertise their site rather than to get anyone to join their mailing list.

But in any event, your test would not have worked since it is apparently only when a new subscriber makes his first post, not when he subscribes, that triggers the confirm email from them.

-s

------------------------------------------------------ Mailman-Users mailing list Mailman-Users@python.org http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/ Unsubscribe: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/archive%40jab.org

Security Policy: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.027.htp