Hi folks,

Many thanks to Brad and Mark for their help - the FAQ on python.org looks absolutely essential reading.

 Question 1 - Is there a way to add large numbers of email addresses as
 List members to Mailman easily and quickly in one, or a few, simple
 actions?

From the responses from Brad and Mark I can see that I use the command add_members from the mailman bin directory. Excellent - that's easy!

 Question 2 - Can email addresses be added singly (as Members of the
 List, not using the nonmember options in the List Administration area)
 to the Mailman List by an Administrator by email as per majordomo?

The e-mail interface to Mailman is limited. What functionality in this area that does exist, is primarily aimed towards the users being able to interact with the system via e-mail, as opposed to the administrators.

I would encourage you to look through the List Manager documentation at <http://www.list.org/admins.html>, and the Site Administrator documentation at <http://www.list.org/site.html>.

 Question 3 - Could a Membership Number Field be added to the Mailman
 Web Sign up form?  If so, would it show up in the List Admin or
 Moderator Approval system if subscribe_policy is set to approval?

Not without making changes to the Python code.

That rules me out!

 Last of all, we already have a "Members Only" section of our website
 which needs the Members to "log in" using username and password so this
 automatically validates their Membership and their right to be there.

 Question 4 - Can the Web Interface for signing up for the various Lists
 be customised so that a Members Only Mailing List sign-up web page is
 only accessible in a Members Only directory/area of the website yet the
 Public List is in a (different) Public directory/area of the Website?

You could probably make Python code changes to support that, yes.

Brad Knowles, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755