On Apr 26, 2005, at 04:57, Jason Miller wrote:
Root does receive a stack of emails, however.  At least one every five
minutes.  The text of the email looks like this:

Subject: Cron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
/usr/bin/python -S /Applications/mailman/cron/gate_news
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:30:01 -0500 (CDT)

Why are you running the cron jobs as 'user' instead of 'mailman'? (Is the 'user' user a member of the 'mailman' group?)

I've modified Defaults.py so that all mentions of NNTP are commented
out, but this approach is just guesswork on my part.

You should never modify Defaults.py, but rather make any customizations you need in your mm_cfg.py. (That allows your changes to persist through Mailman updates.)

even though I don't have a News<->Mailman gateway configured. In fact,
I've tried to make sure that mailman understand I do not want such a
gateway, but I guess I've not been successful.

You could edit your crontab (for the 'user' user in your case apparently) and comment out the gatewaying task which runs every 5 minutes by default.

--
Jim Tittsler     http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship  http://Starship.Python.net/crew/jwt/