I go to http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users >
give it my address, in the unsubscribe/change options box > get the
password screen, and give it my password > get to the options page,
http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users > make changes >
click on Submit My Changes -- and get the password request back!

        I give it again, get the options, find nothing changed, change
things again, and the whole nine yards. No joy.

        I want to follow this list on Gmane, *not* my inbox. Why won't
it let me? Normally, only majordomo has this problem -- and iirc, even
it doesn't always...

What do they know of country, who only country know?