Hi Gerald,

Sounds like your ScriptAlias is playing up.  Did this for me with vhosts too..
I would put everything, including your script alias inside your
vhost..  Then, it will not be fouled up by the default script index of
apache.

Mine is set up like this:

<VirtualHost>
*** all your normal vhost stuff for your server here ***
ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/mailman/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/
<Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/>
   AllowOverride None
   Options ExecCGI
   Order allow,deny