    JC> Ask me if you can borrow my car, and I might say yes and give
    JC> you the keys.  Take my car without asking, that's theft.
    >>
    >> Gmane subscribes to lists.  When the list accepts the
    >> subscription has not the list said yes and given the keys in
    >> your analogy?
    >>
    JC> The list subscription policy is that it is not OK to setup a
    JC> public archive without specific permission.  When a
    JC> subscription request is accepted the list server is saying
    JC> "yes" to personal archives, and "no" to public archives
    JC> without specific permission.  Gmane ignores this distinction.

Where are those restrictions expressed.  I do not see them at
them in either the subscription challenge mail nor in the welcome mail
pertaining to a recent subscription to mailman-users.

Your list, your rules.  But, please, before criticizing folks for not
complying with your rules, make your rules clear and plainly visible
to subscribers before their subscription is completed.

        jam