Mark Sapiro wrote:

> and:
>

>> My safe_mode is Off.  There are no errors in my http log and none output
>> to the screen.  I can run other commands with system and
>> shell_exec...just not any mailman commands.
>>

> Are you sure you're executing the command as the mailman group?
>
> Try
>
> chmod g+s /usr/local/mailman/bin/add_members
>
> and see if that helps. If it does, the problem is with the group
> executing the command.
>
> You don't want to leave add_members as SETGID if non Mailman admins
> have shell access to your box as SETGID will allow anyone to
> successfully run the command.

That didn't help.  I have found an error:
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck'
it was in my main apache log, not the log for the virtual server I am
running the command off of.  What I get permission denied to depends on
what command I'm trying to run.  Sometimes it's a lock file.  If it's a
group thing, I don't understand why--my perl scripts can run these
commands fine, but my php cannot.  They both run from the same web
server, so they'll both be running as the same user.

Anne