The esteemed Piniella, David A has said:

> OK, for giggles, I updated python to 2.5 from 2.3.5, and now configure does
> this:
>
> checking for group name "mailman"... Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "conftest.py", line 1, in <module>
>     import grp
> ImportError: ld.so.1: python: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open failed: No such file
> or directory
> cat: cannot open conftest.out
> configure: error:
> ***** No "mailman" group found!
> ***** Your system must have a "mailman" group defined
> ***** (usually in your /etc/group file).  Please see the INSTALL
> ***** file for details.
> bash-3.00# cat /etc/group | grep mailman
> mailman::100:mailman
> bash-3.00#
>
> ...what?

David, at this point I'm going to bow out and let Mark do the talking.
The only real contribution I had to make was to flag the /usr/bin/cc
issue in Solaris, which is is something that bites almost everyone
sooner or later.

Hank

--
Hank van Cleef ([EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED])
1986 420SEL "A stranger in paradise" (Fremont Co. Wyoming)