We are currently are running mailman on a Redhat box called listserv.  This box
sits in the DMZ.  We also have our mail servers which are sitting inside the
DMZ which pass traffic to our sendmail relay box to get to "listserv". Our mail
is current mail setup looks like this:

Groupwise   --------> Sendmail Relay ----------> Listserv
(Client mails to list)    (Relays mail to DMZ)       (Accepts list and mails
out)

Once listserv gets the mail it then delivers to the recipients.  It's route is
like this:

Listserv  ----------->Sendmail Relay------------>Recipients (Can be internal or
external)

On the Sendmail Relay I see mail successfully going from Groupwise to Relay to
Listserv.  They are all accepted and reach the correct place.  But when
Listserv sends the mail back out to the recipients I see the following errors
on the Relay server from the maillog:

Listserv maillog:

stat=Deferred: Connection timed out with sendmailrelay.xxxxx.xxxx

Sendmail Relay maillog:

May 23 14:07:31 hostname sendmail[19397]: l4NJ1qpd019397: listserv.xxxx.xxxx
[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

May 23 14:14:32 hostname sendmail[19439]: l4NJEUUY019439: lost input channel
from xxxx.xxxx.xxxx [xxx.xxx.xx.xxx] to MTA after mail

I have replaced the hostnames and ip addresses with xx for security reasons.
The mail successfully makes it from the user through the relay and then to the
listserv.  But when it comes bash through,  it get the errors.

I can telnet to the sendmail relay on port 25 from listserv just fine,  I can
send and external mail to my earthlink account from listserv just fine using
the command line "mail -s Test [EMAIL PROTECTED]  I can see my mail
successfully go through the listserv and the mail relay, then out.  But when it
tries to send outbound to a list is when it doesn't go through and I see the
message.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.