Sean Butler wrote:

> I need to setup [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED], both of which
> are running as virtual domains...  I'm running debian and postfix.
>
> In /var/lib/mailman/data directory, I end up with two files:
>
> aliases
> virtual-mailman
>

> In the aliases file, the original [EMAIL PROTECTED] looks like this:
>
> # STANZA START: board
> # CREATED: Wed Jan 16 13:30:03 2008
> board:             "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post board"
> board-admin:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin board"
> board-bounces:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces board"
>
> And the new [EMAIL PROTECTED] looks like this:
>
> # STANZA START: hrca_board
> # CREATED: Wed Jan 16 13:30:03 2008
> hrca_board:             "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post hrca_board"
> hrca_board-admin:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin
> hrca_board"
> hrca_board-bounces:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
> hrca_board"
>

> In the virtual mailman file, the original [EMAIL PROTECTED] looks likes this:
>
> # STANZA START: board
> # CREATED: Wed Jan 16 13:30:03 2008
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                             board
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     board-admin
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]             board-bounces
>
> # STANZA START: hrca_board
> # CREATED: Wed Jan 16 13:30:03 2008
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     hrca_board
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]             hrca_board-admin
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]             hrca_board-bounces

The above aliases and virtual-mailman entries look like what you need to
have two lists named respectively 'board' and 'hrca_board' as far as
Mailman is concerned internally and to access these lists via emails as
[EMAIL PROTECTED], etc. and [EMAIL PROTECTED], etc. respectively.

Did you run postalias and postmap to update the .db files after making
the above entries.

>  From the instructions in the thread I found, I thought I should just
> modify the [EMAIL PROTECTED] to be [EMAIL PROTECTED] in the virtual
> mailman file (and all the other ones like -admin, etc.), but that
> doesn't seem to do it...

It should as long as you run postmap after making the mods.

You will also want to set [EMAIL PROTECTED] in acceptable_aliases for the
hrca_board list, and possibly other changes?

In what respect does it not do it? What happens when you mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Also, if I run genaliases, then everything changes back to the
> original state anyway.

Right. This will be a problem, but once you get it set up, you shouldn't
need to run genaliases, as list creation and deletion should keep things
in sync.

> Am I missing something???

It looks OK to me as long as you are running postmap after manually
updating virtual-mailman.

> As additional info, I have postfix set up with:
>
> virtual_maps =  hash:/etc/postfix/db/virtual,
>                  hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,
>               hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

Looks good.

--
Mark Sapiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        The highway is for gamblers,