I have a Sun Cobalt RAQ550 with Mailman 2.1.8 installed, and running about 120 lists. We were having problems with the setup handling multi-part messages that contained text and html -- some mail programs reproduced stuff twice etc. Also we need to pass attachments.

On the advice of someone I made some changes, content filtering settings below, and while the multi-part thing is a little better, it only passes text attachments. Need to pass .doc etc.

I am obviously not an expert in this stuff, or I wouldn't be bothering all of you. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Should Mailman filter the content of list traffic according to the settings below? <http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_content> (Edit filter_content<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_content>)
No Yes
Remove message attachments that have a matching content type. <http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_mime_types> (Details for filter_mime_types<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_mime_types>)
text/html
Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type. Leave this field blank to skip this filter test. <http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/pass_mime_types> (Details for pass_mime_types<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/pass_mime_types>)
multipart/alternative message/rfc822 text/plain
Remove message attachments that have a matching filename extension. <http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_filename_extensions> (Edit filter_filename_extensions<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_filename_extensions>)
exe bat cmd com pif scr vbs cpl
Remove message attachments that don't have a matching filename extension. Leave this field blank to skip this filter test. <http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/pass_filename_extensions> (Edit pass_filename_extensions<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/pass_filename_extensions>) Should Mailman collapse multipart/alternative to its first part content? <http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/collapse_alternatives> (Edit collapse_alternatives<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/collapse_alternatives>)
No Yes
Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text? This conversion happens after MIME attachments have been stripped. <http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/convert_html_to_plaintext> (Edit convert_html_to_plaintext<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/convert_html_to_plaintext>)
No Yes
Action to take when a message matches the content filtering rules. <http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_action> (Details for filter_action<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_action>)
Discard Reject Forward to List Owner Preserve