On 6/18/08, Mark Sapiro wrote:

 Welcome to the world of pain and frustration that is dealing with
 Microsoft and Windows live mail spam filtering - yes, they do accept
 your mail and then silently discard it.

For small non-profit organizations, you can pay a one-time fee to Habeas and/or Return Path and take part in their "safelist" or "bonded sender" programs, and that should significantly help your penetration into various sites, not just hotmail. For example, using Habeas improves your spam score by a full 8.0 points with SpamAssassin using an out-of-the-box configuration, although ReturnPath only improves your spam score by 4.0 points. Still, 4.0 points may be enough to take you out of the yellow and into the green, and 8.0 points would almost certainly do that.

I think we send too much e-mail for python.org to do this sort of thing as a small non-profit (there are daily/monthly/yearly volume limits), but we should probably talk to the PSF about an annual subscription to their lowest tier of service on these programs, and I have contacts at both Habeas and ReturnPath that we can talk to.

We're looking at doing this for my "real" employer, and for one of the largest public universities in the world, the safelist price I was quoted was less than $10,000. And we do a *lot* of volume at work. Smaller sites get charged proportionately less.

--
Brad Knowles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>