Michael:

I'm jumping into this thread midstream, but this comment caught my eye...

Some supposedly full-featured MUAs, Outlook & Exchange, have been
victims.

Some of those (so called) full-features MUA's specifically merge lines together when they shouldn't be ... and it's not even related to Mailman.
This has caused me untold problems when it's not noticed.  A few months ago one
of our QA people sent me a few commands intended to replicate a problem ... but
Exchange, in it's infinite wisdom, (arbitrarily) wrapped two the lines into one
... which caused the commands to fail.

Outlook does, however, inform the user when it's removed extra line breaks ...
and you can click on the message to restore them.  The message is very easy to
miss.

david

--
IBM i on Power -- For when you can't afford to be out of business