Mark Sapiro wrote:

How do you catch this? If you've received the post from the list, it is
very likely that by the time you are able to react, Mailman will have
completed its delivery to the MTA.

We'll see it posted to the forum, which, when a user posts, will pipe the message to mailman, along with an Approved: header. I find that there's usually at least 2-3 minutes between the time that a post occurs, and we see mailman start to deliver it in the maillog.

Stop your MTA.
Stop Mailman.
There may or may not be queued messages in the MTA. Examine them all
and delete the ones you don't want delivered.
Start the MTA.
The message may or may not be queued in Mailman. Examine the entries
(.pck files) in Mailman's in/, out/ and retry/ queues with
bin/show_qfiles. If you find any entries containing the unwanted
message, remove them.
Start Mailman.

Great (and, in retrospect, obvious) advice. Thanks for spelling it out for me though. Hopefully this thread will prove useful to someone in a similar situation Googling for a solution :-)

cheers