I wanted to remove one user's name (by request) from the list archives, so I used vim to search & replace his name with xxxxx in:

/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/mylistname.mbox

This worked fine, and I checked and verified that all occurrences were properly replaced within mbox. Then I ran this command to try to regenerate the public HTML files:

~mailman/bin/arch mylistname

It appeared to work, all the dates on the HTML files showed the current time and date, except that they still contained the user's name. Evidently it was not drawing from the mbox file that I edited.

Where have I gone wrong?