on 11/28/08 2:30 PM, Robin McCain said:

I need to backup my mailman database and do some user maintenance - how can I get a .csv file or something similar so I can compare the present list to the list I entered 6 months ago?

You won't get a .csv file. Mailman does not generate files that would be suitable for importing into anything remotely resembling a spreadsheet.

If you read FAQ 4.9 (see <http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/4.09+Summary+of+the+mailman+bin+commands>), you'll note a number of commands related to user membership, and the specific command "list_members" will show you who all is subscribed to whatever list you specify. That's probably the closest you're going to get.

I tried to install Mailman using MySQL so this would be easy to do, but it ignored MySQL and created its own database.

Mailman 2.x does not properly understand any kind of real database, like MySQL. There are *unsupported* MySQL member adapters that you can install, but you're pretty much completely on your own with regards to anything related to them -- if you have any questions with regards to them, you should contact the member adapter authors, not us.

We hope to fix this properly in Mailman3, but we can't give you any kind of timeframe for when that will be delivered.

Are there any tools to extract statistical data out of the mailman database?

Searching the Mailman FAQ wiki for "statistic", the most obvious hit is FAQ 1.30 "Does Mailman have a statistics/log analysis module, or any marketing-related modules?", at <http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030678>.

--
Brad Knowles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>