I run an installation of Mailman 2.1.9 installed from the Debian stable branch,
and includes Sendmail 8.13.8, and have discovered some quirky handling of user
addresses.

On occasion, I've had users complain about sending multiple subscription
request to a list's -join address, and never getting any response.  This
happened last week, and with a little checking of logs, I found that what
happened is that for some reason, some outbound messages addressed to
individual users are getting "-owner" tagged to the username portion of the
address.  Of course, because the address is invalid, the message bounces.

Thus, if I'm hosting a list whose posting address is thisl...@example.com, and
a user whose email address is demou...@somewhere.com, the result of sending a
addressed not to demou...@somewhere.com but demouser-ow...@somewhere.com.

This seems to be an intermittent problem.  When this particular problem
happened, the user submitted subscriptions to nearly a dozen lists, only this
one list had a problem -- all the other subscriptions were handled correctly.
Also, as far as I can tell, this problem seems to be not specific to
subscription responses, nor to this list.  A check of my logs indicates a
handful of other mis-addressed -owner addresses for regular message traffic.

Additionally, a few minutes ago. I was looking at the web interface for my own
subscription options to thislist, and found in the the section for requesting a
password reminder, the following text:

(Note - you are subscribing to a list of mailing lists, so the password notice
will be sent to the admin address for your membership,
myaddress-ow...@example.com)

I've never seen that one before.

I do happen to be the owner of this list.  I clicked the button, and the logs
indicate that the message was sent to the specified address, and because it's
invalid, the message bounced.

I also checked subscriptions of several other lists that I own, and none of
them shows that note in the subscription options.

Any idea of what's going on?

NFN Smith

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!