On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Mark Sapiro wrote:
If you're getting "bounces" like "message undeliverable after 4 hours;
will keep trying until message is 5 days old" Mailman should be
ignoring those.

I apologize for not thinking through the fact that a 4xx would have to continue for 4 hours before mailman ever heard about it, but now you are saying that notice is ignored. So, I seem to have misunderstood the docs. I thought '4xx' errors (when they get back to mailman) were 'soft', so if 'message undeliverable for 4 hours' doesn't count, then what messages does mailman treat as a 'soft' bounce and only score 0.5?

If it isn't, send me a complete, raw copy of the DSN,
and I'll fix it and tell you how to fix yours.

I'm not working on DSN's, I'm fighting with yahoo over large numbers of stupid, needless 4xx delays in my mail logs (and log reports). There aren't very many things in their generic 'explanations' that seem to apply. So I'm trying to cut down on our system attempting to send mail to 5xx recipients at Yahoo.

Further to this topic, another suggestion from Yahoo would be to use different IP addresses for different classes of mail. Short of running the mail on a separate server, I was thinking I might try running a separate instance of postfix to send mail from a separate IP. But then how would I tell mailman to use *that* instance of postfix?

- Charles