I'm posting this to both the mailman-users list and the freebsd-ports list. I realize that not all follow-up will make it to both lists.

I would like to set up multiple instances of Mailman on a FreeBSD 7- STABLE system with using Postfix. Looking at the ports Makefile, it appears that if I set MM_DIR=mailman/vhosts/domain-for-this-instance everything should work file (plus add FORCE_PACKAGE_REGISTER allow this second instance to be installed.)

But when I do

 % cd /usr/ports/mail/mailman
% sudo make -DMM_DIR=mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org - DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER install

It just installs in the default location, /usr/local/mailman

And this paradoxical report of various settings

$ sudo make MM_DIR=mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org - DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER install
===>  Found saved configuration for mailman-2.1.12

You may change the following build options:
MM_USERNAME=mailman     The username of the Mailman user.
MM_USERID=91            The user ID of the Mailman user.
MM_GROUPNAME=mailman    The group to which the Mailman user will belong.
MM_GROUPID=MM_USERID    The group ID for the Mailman user.
MM_DIR=mailman Mailman will be installed in /usr/local/mailman/vhosts/ lists.wilson-pta.org. CGI_GID=www The group name or id under which your web server executes CGI scripts.
IMGDIR=www/icons        Icon images will be installed in /usr/local/www/icons.

Notice the conflicting information on the line telling me about MM_DIR.

Background on the issue

As is well known to mailman users, mailman 2.X does not fully deal with virtual mail domains in that, say

    pta-bo...@lists.shepard-families.org

And

    pta-bo...@lists.wilson-pta.org

would have to be the same list. That is mailman does not provide a separate namespace for lists in different domains.

The Wiki/FAQ at

 http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030604

hints at patches (which I can't seem to locate) and mailing list discussion mentions an alternative of having a separate instance of Mailman for each virtual domain. This later approach seems easier if you don't anticipate having loads of domains. So that is what I intend to do.

Cheers,

-j