On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, Thomas Reale wrote:

I am about to begin the installation process for gnu mailman.  I'm
learning some Python for this very purpose, but I seem to be getting
hung up on some of the jargon, and I believe I might be intuitively
inept at a starting point.  I have two questions:

You don't really need to know any Python in order to use Mailman. I know some Python but I've never had to look at any of the sources...oh except once but I was wanting to do something which wasn't officially supported.

1)  Does the installation need to occur on an always-turned-on computer?

Well...I suppose it doesn't *really*, but it's a good idea. If you have the list on a machine that's not always on, users will have to wait till it comes up again before they can receive messages and these will inevitably arrive in clumps, plus anyone wanting to perform list administration will not be able to when the machine is switched off.

2)  Will others be able to manage the list remotely via the web (I
know that I can access any other Linux-based machine remotely)?

Yes, if you want them to. It's expected that most list administration will occur using the web interface.

Geoff.