Hans Joachim Wenzel wrote:

>we "private" archive all our lists - and its come the time where we
>need to free space up on the volume that its archiving to. We are using
>version 2.1.12.
>
>We tried to edit the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file to
>remove the messages we don't want and then run 'bin/arch --wipe listname' and
>got:
>
>e...@mailhost-locust] /usr/local/mailman/bin $ ./arch --wipe security
>#00000 <20090102122338.d9d2a158...@flens.dfn-cert.de>
>Schreibe Archivzustand in Datei
>/HAmailhost/mailman/archives/private/security/pipermail.pck
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "./arch", line 201, in ?
>    main()
>  File "./arch", line 189, in main
>    archiver.processUnixMailbox(fp, start, end)
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py", line 578, in
> processUnixMailbox
>    a = self._makeArticle(m, self.sequence)
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 684, in
> _makeArticle
>    mlist=self.maillist)
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 308, in
> __init__
>    charset = message.get_content_charset(cset_out)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/email/Message.py", line 800, in get_content_charset
>    charset = unicode(charset, 'us-ascii').encode('us-ascii')
>TypeError: decoding Unicode is not supported
>
>The archive was completely lost and restored from backup. Any help would be
>appropriate.

This is due to an incompatibility between Mailman 2.1.12 and the email
package in some Python 2.4.x releases. See the March 2009 note in the
FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/pYA9> which includes a link to a patch
to the Python lib/email/Charset.py module to fix this.

Also see the comment thread in the bug report at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/328353>.

I'm surprised that this was the only place you noticed this problem.
Are there occasional shunted messages and error log tracebacks?