David Newman wrote:
On 3/1/10 10:34 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
David Newman wrote:
For a read-only announcement list, I'm looking for a way to set up
"one-click subscription" where a user enters an email in a form on a web
page and gets subscribed right away, with no confirmation needed.
This is not a good idea. It allows anyone to subscribe anyone else to
your list without the subscribed person's knowledge or consent. Do you
really want to do this?
OK, thanks. Thinking about this some more, it does seem like an
excellent way to subscribe users who never asked to hear from us. I'll
recommend to our team that we at least get confirmation before proceeding.

Also, you should note that in some places anti-spam laws make it illegal to operate mailing lists that only require one-click subscription. My slightly fuzzy memory says the laws surrounding this were most strict in Germany, but I wouldn't be surprised if other countries require confirmation before someone can be put on a mailing list.

 Terri