On 7/21/2010 11:23 AM, Michael R Boudreau wrote:
I need to merge List A into List B. My plan is to run list_members
on both lists and use the Unix 'uniq' tool to find the members of
List A who are not already in List B. Then I'll use the web
interface's mass subscription page to add the members from List A
to List B.

Depending on how lazy you want to be, I'm guessing you might be able to just take the member list from List A and mass subscribe it to List B.

I think Mailman would just complain about the people who are already subscribed to List B and then process the rest. Though I haven't tried this.

I tried playing around with uniq (and two dummy files) and it might do what you want but the results weren't intuitive to me.

I hacked together a script a few years ago to compare two files and say which lines are just in file A, just in file B, or in both; it's at http://blog.anthonyrthompson.com/listserv-to-mailman/code/utils/filecomplines

Following that, I'll run rmlist on List A without deleting its archives.
However, ideally I'd like to make the archives of Lists A and B available
in one place to all the members of the new expanded List B.

If it was me, I'd just remove all the subscribers from List A, add a dummy subscriber account set with delivery off and mod on, and then give out the dummy account and its password to the folks on List B for archive access.

~Anthony