On 10/22/2012 11:55 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
I recently got 30 new comments on my blog, all of which were spam.
And of course I'm using a CAPTCHA there. So Brad's point is probably
valid.

I don't like captcha's either, and one of their problems is that they're so easy to see programatically.

I've seen an interesting method in use:
Right above the form, the page text says "Enter the word blue below", it's in body text. In the form, there's a box named whatsthecolor (or maybe just 'fred'). User enters "blue" and everything goes on. I think it unlikely that anyone will code their bot to parse the correct word out of the body text and enter it in the right form field.

I've used a similar method for help email to places like yahoo. At the bottom of the text I ask "Please tell me your favorite color so I know I'm working with a real person." Seems to work.

z!