Yosem Companys wrote:

>   - When receiving digests, which format is default? MIME.
>   - How big in Kb should a digest be before it gets sent out? 300.
>   - Should a digest be dispatched daily when the size threshold isn't reached?
>   Yes.

This is all good.

>   - How often should a new digest volume be started? Daily.

This is probably not what you want.

>That seemed to work for a while, but all of a sudden this week all the
>digest subscribers started complaining that they were receiving 1 digest
>per message.

If the settings were unchanged, there was some other issue. Were the
same messages repeated in the subsequent digests? What was logged in
Mailman's error log?

>So I went about changing the options.  The first thing I thought was that
>the threshold was too low, so I increased it.  Since I had read on the web
>that zero meant unlimited, I did that.  I now realize that the
>documentation on those sites must be wrong, as it is correct on the "List
>Administration Manual," to which one of you drew my attention:
>https://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-admin/node19.html.  In any
>case, this explains why when I would send a message that only said TEST in
>the subject, a new digest was created.

Actually, the manual you cite is wrong too. I'll fix it.

>Once the logical thing did not work, I wrote to ask for your help.  But, as
>I had subscribers dropping out like flies, I played around with the options
>until I found a configuration that stopped the problem.  This was achieved
>with the following:
>
>   - When receiving digests, which format is default? Plain.

This only affects the default for new subscribers and has no bearing on
digest frequency anyway.

>   - How big in Kb should a digest be before it gets sent out? 300.
>   - Should a digest be dispatched daily when the size threshold isn't reached?
>   No.

This may make a difference if the issue is that cron/senddigests is
being run many times a day instead of just once.

>   - How often should a new digest volume be started? Weekly.
>
>Now I realize that what probably fixed the problem was the combination of
>"Plain" and "300."

As I said, plain has nothing to do with it. The issue is either
cron/senddigests run too frequently in which case "Should a digest be
dispatched daily" will make the difference, or it is some other
underlying problem which has bee fixed by the site admins in the mean
time.

>Given that, I will keep that threshold, change the
>options to the following, and cross my fingers:
>
>   - When receiving digests, which format is default? Plain.
>   - How big in Kb should a digest be before it gets sent out? 300.
>   - Should a digest be dispatched daily when the size threshold isn't reached?
>   Yes.

If this starts the problem again, the issue is someone changed the
frequency with which cron/senddigests is run by Mailman's crontab. If
not, the problem was something else outside your list settyings, and
someone else fixed it.