In the list options, Privacy / Sender filters there is an option "Action to
take for postings from non-members for which no explicit action is defined",
set that to discard, and unless the post matches some other filter, it will be
automatically discarded.  If you have command line access (which it sounds like
you do), I think you can change the order these are tested, letting this filter
discard them before the spam filters, which might mark the message Hold.