On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 20:05:09 -0000, Mark Sapiro <m...@msapiro.net> wrote:

On 10/31/2013 12:37 PM, Malcolm Austen wrote:

I seem not to have file level access to the mailman hierarchy, so I
guess I need advice as to what permissions I need to ask them to
manually set on which files or folders. I'd like to make my request
specific enough to avoid having the lists reset and the archives and/or
membership lists discarded.

You need to ask the host to run Mailman's bin/check_perms (probably
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/check_perms) as root with the
'-f' option. That should fix most permission problems.

They also should look at Mailman's error log (probably
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/error) and see what the actual
problems are because other fixes may be needed.

If they need help, they should come here directly rather than using you
as an intermediary.

Many thanks Mark. I've no wish to act an intermediary if they are unsure as to what to do, but I do want the report to look like I have some idea of what the problem is :-)

I hope I'll only bring this back to the list to report a satisfactory resolution ...

Thanks again, Malcolm.