On 04/27/2014 11:00 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

> One question I have had over how this works is why SPF is added to the
> mix. If the message passes SPF, then it has come directly from a server
> that is supposedly controlled by the sending provider. Said server
> should have been able to DKIM sign the message, so you should never see
> a message that passes SPF but fails DKIM.

SPF applies to the domain of the envelope sender, not the From: address.
It only says that the server that delivered this message is authorized
(or not) for the domain of the envelope sender.

> Was that option just put in to allow an organization to just implement
> SPF (and ignore DKIM), but change SPF to require the alignment to From: ?

I think the intent is that any domain that implements a DMARC policy
will both publish SPF and DKIM sign, but the draft spec explicitly
allows for the sending domain to not do both[1].

For a DMARC test to succeed either SPF must pass and the SPF domain must
align with the From: domain or there must be a valid DKIM signature with
a d= domain aligned with the From: domain.

Note that this doesn't represent any change in either SPF or DKIM. It is
just an additional requirement on the domains of these tests.

So, if a relay modifies the domain of the envelope sender, e.g. like
most mailing lists changes it to some bounce@my.domain, SPF may pass,
but the domains won't align. For SPF to allow the message to pass DMARC
validation, the envelope sender's domain must align with the From:
domain and the server which delivered the mail to the recipient MTA must
be authorized by the SPF of the envelope sender's domain.

[1] From sec 10.2 of the draft spec.
   Heuristics applied in the absence of use by a Domain Owner of either
   SPF or DKIM (e.g., [Best-Guess-SPF]) SHOULD NOT be used, as it may be
   the case that the Domain Owner wishes a Message Receiver not to
   consider the results of that underlying authentication protocol at
   all.