On 06/21/2014 11:00 AM, Peter Fraser wrote:
> I checked the data directory and saw some *.pck files Their names were along
> the lines of "heldmsg-<list_name>-727.pck"so I guess then bouncerunner should
> be running. All the .pck files have heldmsg in the name.

These are all messages held waiting moderator action.

> The way our setup is designed though, the mailman box isn't the mail smtp
> relay.

What Postfix logged the message you reported earlier?

> It sits behind the firewall and just sends out. So I'm thinking that if a
> downstream box later bounced the messages, that wouldn't hit the mailman box,
> but would hit the main smtp relay and back to the exchange server box. I
> looked then at the logs of the main smtp relay and did see some bounces with
> dsn id's
> I'm hoping though that the bounces detected during the smtp transaction
> should be detected by postfix and then mailman.Maybe that accounts for those
> few .pck files? Not sure.

Downstream bounces should always be reported via DSN sent back to the
envelope sender of the original message which is
LISTNAME-bounces@list.domain or in the VERP case,
LISTNAME-bounces+bouncing_user=users.domain@list.domain. These should
get back to Mailman.

In general, some SMTP server gets a 5xx status from the next hop. That
server sends a failure DSN back to the envelope sender. That DSN should
get back to Mailman and be processed.